A former Field Centre occupying a picturesque position, with views across Baldersale towards Blackton & Hury Reservoirs. There is potential for conversion to residential (subject to obtaining planning consent) or the property could be repurposed and updated for continued use as an educational facility. The property is in Balderdale, within the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, just to the west of Hury. Cotherstone is circa 5 miles to the east, Middleton-in-Teesdale is circa 7 miles to the north and Barnard Castle is circa 10 miles to the south east. Baldersdale is within easy reach of Barnard Castle, a popular market town providing a range of services and excellent access to the A66, in turn linking to the A1(M) to the east and the M6 to the west.
The property extends to approximately 226.31 sqm / 2436 sqft (GIA) comprising the original cottage, byre and schoolroom, plus a later extension.
As currently, the internal configuration comprises living / communal spaces, a kitchen and a range of bedrooms with bathroom facilities, for both students and staff. The property occupies a good-sized site, extending to a total of 0.61 acres, with ample parking and providing the opportunity for generous residential gardens.
Freehold with Vacant Possession on completion.
The property is understood to benefit from a mains electric connection, with a private, spring fed water supply. Heating is provided by a tanked LPG, gas-fired boiler and there is a private sewerage system.
Durham County Council
Pre-Application advice has been sought from Durham County Council, with the response concluding that, subject to addressing relevant policy the proposal for residential use is likely to be considered acceptable. A copy of the pre-application advice is available on request.
The vendors are willing to consider both conditional offers (subject to planning permission being obtained) and unconditional offers.
1st April 2017 to present - £250
From 1st April 2023 - £500
The property has an EPC rating of E (119).
All prices are exclusive of VAT. We have been informed by the Vendor that VAT will not be payable on the sale price.
By arrangement with the agents GSC Grays (Barnard Castle). Tel: 01833 637000
Details prepared and photographs taken February 2023.
GSC Grays gives notice that:
1. These particulars are a general guide only and do not form any part of any offer or contract.
2. All descriptions, including photographs, dimensions and other details are given in good faith but no warranty is provided. Statements made should not be relied upon as facts and anyone interested must satisfy themselves as to their accuracy by inspection or otherwise.
3. Neither GSC Grays nor the vendors accept responsibility for any error that these particulars may contain however caused.
4. Any plan is for guidance only and is not drawn to scale. All dimensions, shapes, and compass bearings are approximate and should not be relied upon without checking them first.
5. Nothing in these particulars shall be deemed to be a statement that the property is in good condition, repair or otherwise nor that any services or facilities are in good working order.
6. Please discuss with us any aspects that are important to you prior to travelling to the property.